9/12/2009

Great Customer Service by Grantwood Technology for my iPhone TuneBand!

Customer service seems to be a dying art. It is a critical part of any consumer-facing business, and the quality of customer service a company provides could make or break their business. I have stopped buying from certain retailers simply due to their poor customer service. And I know I'm not alone in this. A bad experience can leave so bad a taste in our mouth that we will do anything to avoid it again. In fact, many of us will pass on the word to our friends and family to make sure they don't suffer the same ill fate.

Good customer service can be just as memorable. It can leave one singing praises about the experience and promoting the company/product/service to their network of influence. I recently had such an experience so I feel I should share all about this. Because companies should be noted for their good work and I would want them to be rewarded for their efforts in serving their customers.

It all began with the iPhone 3G S. It comes integrated with Nike Plus, which is a nice bonus. However I wasn't really sold on the fact that I'd have to run with my iPhone attached to me in order to use it - after all, the iPhone is a brick of a device, so it seemed a cumbersome attachment. On top of that, I'd also have to worry about it being secure so that it doesn't fall, slip, or get flung off while I'm running. After doing some quick research on Amazon.com, I found an inexpensive sport strap for the iPhone that seemed to be a good candidate. It was simple and seemed to offer enough protection, and it had positive reviews from users. The product was called Tunebandby Grantwood Technolgy. I went ahead and ordered it along with the Nike + iPod Sensorand a sensor caseto complete my Nike + needs.

Everything arrived quickly, so I was able to try out Nike Plus sooner than I thought. I was a bit disappointed by the quality of TuneBand, although I somewhat expected that based on what other reviewers had said about it. But it worked fine, and I generally trusted my iPhone wasn't going to slip out while I had it strapped to my arm on my runs. I did have a concern that the longer I used it, the more the neoprene case might stretch out from putting it on and removing it, but time would tell on that.

When Amazon sent a notification email to review the product, I left a quick note stating "the product could be higher quality but generally is fine." And I thought no more about it. So I was a bit surprised to get an email from Grantwood Technology a few days ago regarding my feedback. The email noted my feedback on the product and then provided a FYI that they just released "a new-and-hopefully-improved TuneBand for iPhone, with a slightly thicker skin and a slightly wider strap, all designed to secure the iPhone even better. If interested, we can send one free of charge..."

I was beyond amazed when I read the email. I thought, wow what great service. They really care about what their customers think about the product and they will go out of their way to make sure the customer is satisfied. I replied with a thank you and accepted the offer for the free new TuneBand. I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it is indeed improved with more security for the iPhone.

Grantwood Technology, thank you for being a good customer service company. I applaud you for that. You understand today's e-commerce landscape, that user feedback is key in driving future purchases of your products. This is especially true on Amazon. You know a bad review can cause your sales and reputation to suffer, and that a good review can do wonders for your business. Some large corporations get it and are working hard to address user feedback they see on the web and social media outlets, but you as a small company are working just as hard, and that's worthy of note. I wish you many happy returning customers. I expect to be one of them myself. Please keep up the good work, and may other retailers model themselves after your high standard of service.

Now I just can't wait to get my new TuneBand and try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment