9/11/2009

Forget Facebook, those Emoticons could hurt you too :(

According to Baseline:

"Another interesting effect of the social networking trend is the growing prevalence of internet slang and emoticons in business communication. Fourteen percent of employers have disregarded candidates because they sent a message using an emoticon during the hiring process."

What? Those harmless little smiley faces, winks, and tongue-wagging could prevent you from being hired? They don't make you seem more friendly and fun in an email? According to some IT hiring managers, the answer is a resounding no. And you know what? I would do the same! I don't send my clients emails with emoticons in them, and if someone sends me a message in a professional setting that contained emoticons, I would question their maturity and professionalism.

Now over IM, that is a whole other story...

No comments:

Post a Comment