9/12/2009

AT&T comes clean: Admission to not being able to handle the iPhone

Everyone I know who has an iPhone loves it. Since becoming an iPhone owner, I have also become a lover of the Apple phone. What's not to like? The sleek beautiful design and simplicity, nice graphics and simple user experience (although I admit, when I first got it I forgot about the multi-touch ability and therefore was completely stumped on how to make Google Maps zoom in and out. I know I know, what a noOb.), and oh the apps, the great variety of apps to help keep you organized, entertained, and connected.

But as much as I love the iPhone I have the equal amount of hatred for AT&T. And that's one primary reason why I held out until the 3G S came out before I switched. I had only heard complaint after complaint from friends and acquaintances on the poor performance of the AT&T network. Critics and professional tech reviewers spew the same venom towards the carrier about the poor network and inordinate number of dropped calls. And guess what? They were right on all accounts. I have encountered more dead spots on AT&T than imaginable. In fact with Sprint and T-Mobile I hardly had that issue - now I understand those silly Verizon commercials. Gee thanks AT&T.

Well now at least I feel somewhat vindicated. Finally AT&T admits their inability to service iPhone users. But it's really pretty sad for them to blame the phone basically being too fan-freakin'-tastic for them to keep up with the capabilities of the handset. Even worse, they're implicating the users for using the phone too much. That's just sad. Then why don't you end the exclusivity contract now and allow other more capable networks to be able to carry the iPhone as well. AT&T, you've already strong-armed 9 million of us into becoming indentured servants to your sorry inadequate network, slapping us with two-year contracts for poor performance, dropped calls, and preventing us from getting the most out of our phone, and now you have successfully annoyed and angered all of your users and gained a terrible reputation, why don't you take whatever it is you have gained and walk away from the exclusivity? Don't you now moan and whine about it being the iPhone's fault and make yourself look even more idiotic. Set the iPhone free. Let the carrier with the best network to service the iPhone win.

No comments:

Post a Comment