9/26/2009

Funny, Fun, and Useful - the Selk Bag

One day, out of the blue, I was forwarded  an odd photo of a man in a bright yellow puffy suit in an email and asked if I wore this sleeping bag suit on my camping trips. I had never seen such a thing and completely thought it was a big joke. Then I was sent a URL of the product, and after seeing it for sale on Amazon I figured this thing was for real.


The product is called the Selk Bag - and it is a big fluffy sleeping bag with arms and legs and a hood that fits just like a full-body suit. There are zippers and drawcords in all the right places to make sure the sleeping bag fits like a glove while allowing easy on and off and access. You can have your hands free or slip the sleeping bag gloves over your hands and seal to keep your digits toasty warm. The hood keeps your head warm with a draw cord so you can mummy up for cold nights.


After I got over the silly looking thing, I realized how brilliant this product really was. Yo can stand up, walk around, and have freedom of movement while you're warm and cozy in a sleeping bag! It's the best of both worlds! And it also makes you extremely warm and huggable!

Nonetheless, I took another look at the product photos and my smart sensible returned, and I saw how extremely goofy and dorky this product moves was. A few times I did see the bag advertised in outdoor magazines, confirming the fact this was indeed a real product.

A few weeks ago a friend mentioned wanting one of those Selk sleeping really badly. At first I thought it was a joke, but once we started talking about the idea of being able to move around in the cold outdoor winters while still being surrounded by pillowy warmth all over. Now that was a wonderful thought, especially since I'm always freezing when camping outdoors. The more I thought about it, the more I got hooked on the idea of the Selk bag.

According to Amazon, people do enjoy their Selk bags. One reviewer said it's "cooler than cool beans!" So I think I can get past the goofy photos and maybe embrace the idea of being a stay puff marshmallow...maybe.



No comments:

Post a Comment