3/16/2005

Getting Back at the Inane Annoyances of Life

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/15/nyregion/15annoyances.html

I loved this New York Times article about the inventive ways that people have created to combat life's little annoyances. All the things that irk and bother us, but we think we have to live with because they're just part of life. Like junk mail and computerized operators. As absurd and obssessive some of these acts of rebellion may seem, they are in fact small acts of human triumph against big business practices.

Because you know what? I AM annoyed when I go to Starbucks and ask for a medium, and my BARISTA corrects me with, "you mean a grande?" Come on, I think we both know what we're talking about. It's the middle size between the smallest and largest sizes you offer, and by definition, that means a medium. Don't try to fool me by calling it a "grande."

And I can't even tell you about the countless times I have had to call FedEx's 1-800 number to get a simple question answered, only to have to battle through the computer operator, punching through a series of options, and never getting what I need. Look, I am running late on getting this important document out, and I need to know the latest FedEx location where I can drop this package off that's within a 20 mile radius. And since the FedEx web site gives inaccurate information in their location finder (sometimes it simply doesn't work), I have to call the 800 number. I'm in a hurry, I need to make sure I'll make the last drop-off, just let me talk to a live operator who will actually understand my request and be able to find the answer for me.

Therefore, it was exceptionally gratifying to see that there are people out there who are fighting back. (On surface this seems a little passive aggressive, but by taking action, these individuals are actually acting assertive.) I'm too busy to spend months stuffing business envelopes with dead weight myself, so I can imagine that Wesley A. Williams is doing it on my behalf. In fact, on behalf of humanity. Wesley A. Williams, you're my hero.

Anyone else out there fighting the annoyances of life? Using the "little weapons people use for everyday survival?"

No comments:

Post a Comment