2/11/2010

3D IMAX Movie Experience


IMG_0264, originally uploaded by szueechen.
It took us FOREVER, but E and I finally went and saw Avatar, of course in 3D IMAX. We knew the movie would be a visual spectacle, so we wanted to maximize that experience, be as immersed in Pandora as possible. I was a bit skeptical about the 3D but it really did add levels of dimension to the visuals. The odd angle and huge size of the glasses were hard to get used to though, and with my lack of bridge I kep thinking they were going to slide off my face.

E was SO very entertained by how I looked in the humongo 3D glasses we had to take some pics to commemorate. The frames were beyond Martin Scorsese large - they made me feel like a miniature person. And well, I looked it too.

Asides from the goofy glasses, Avatar was truly a gorgeous and deeply engaging visual feast. I was bored by all the stereotyped, undeveloped characters and frankly disappointed in the uninventiveness of the storyline, and this despite my already low low expectations about the plot given what I've already heard. Really, Mr. Cameron, I can't help but feel you just got lazy and cheaped out on writing a story worthy of the visual and imaginative world you've created. It is literally a rip-off of Pocahontas/Dance with Wolves. As a filmmaker, how would you be ok with that?

But I must thank James Cameron for the rich, lush, and wonderfully detailed Pandora - although I suspect much of the credit belongs to the animators. I loved being in Pandora and watching the wonderful na'vi, the creatures, and landscape that I didn't want the movie to end. I was even okay enduring through the cheesy and oh-so-expected storyline and blatant rip-offs of Native American cultures. To me, Cameron has redeemed himself from the sappy dopey storyline of Titanic with the visual feast that is Avatar.

Oh and by the way, there are a couple even goofier pics of us in the glasses...E LOVES them...so here's the links if you're curious:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/szuann/4350142151/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/szuann/4350888372/

No comments:

Post a Comment